Thursday, April 23, 2009

Crafty

Every once in a while I get the urge to be crafty. Once I get something in my head that I want to do, I want to do it now. (Fortunately for our wallet, I don't have a car during the day so I can't just run out and buy all the stuff to do it all the time)


I was watching John & Kate Plus 8 the other night and they had these little cloth baggies that they hooked onto the kids carseats for snacks. We have the same carseat & I can't figure out how/where they hooked it on... Anyway, I was doing other things while it was on and missed Kate talking about them, except the very end when she said how great they are. Our car is a mess from spilled snacks and we always make a mess on our row at church, so I've been looking for alternatives anyway.

So I searched the internet and found something like what they had. I don't know if its exactly what they use or not. But I like the idea, and of course, no way am I going to pay $9 for a snack bag. Especially when I will want at least 4, so I can have one in the wash and one ready to use for each kid. So now I just have to figure out how to make it.

It has a little stainless steel bowl in the bottom to make it stand up and a carabiner on the back so you can attach it to your diaperbag, stroller, etc and apparently, carseat. http://www.thesnacksack.com/

The other option I found in an etsy store is this:


It closes like a ziploc, but velcro. I also like that the bottom is flat so it can stand up. Click here for a link to the etsy store. I kind of like this one better, and it would probably be easier to make.

Justin is always asking me a) when are we going to open a bakery; and b) when are you going to come up with a good idea that will make us millions?

Well, my answer to both is this - We could never go into business together. It would be the end of our marriage.

But it still is one of those things where you just say, "why didn't I think of that??" A lot of times I did think of that, but I just wasn't the first one.

So now I just have to figure out how to make these. I'm not an expert at sewing, but anyone want to join me??

3 comments:

Grandma T said...

Claire,

I checked out the Snack Sack site and looked at the full review from Noodad. While overall, a positive review, it mentions that the kids quickly learned that they could swing it around (like a mace) and with the steel bowl in the bottom, it made quite a nice sound when it hit something. The "testers" were not given enough time to discover what it sounds like when it hits someone's head. ;)

The Boyle's said...

I love the one from Etsy -- you should also check out hyenacart.com if you like stuff on Etsy...it's their 'sister' site. I might be interested in trying to make one with you; and I'm not that good at sewing either!

Carrie said...

I'd be up for attempting it with you.
I want to make this, which is similar. And a snack sack would be great to go along with it.

http://www.craftstylish.com/item/43227/how-to-make-a-reusable-sandwich-wrap

Also, have you seen these?
http://www.amazon.com/Munchkin-10122-Two-Snack-Catchers/dp/B000GB0NZK

We have one like that and really like it. It was awesome when alex was little cause he could hold onto the handles. I LOVED having it in the car. No spills!