Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Portuguese

When my brothers and I were kids and my Uncle Clay would come to visit, he and my mom always spoke to eachother in Spanish. It drove us all crazy b/c we didn't know what they were saying! Now that I have little kids, Justin and I are always spelling words that we don't want the kids to know we are talking about. It won't be too terribly long before they can spell some of the simple ones like "treat" or "ice cream" or whatever. Justin served his mission in Brazil so he can speak Portuguese and I'm always joking that I should learn it so that we can speak it to eachother like my mom and uncle did in Spanish.

I said it again the other night and afterward I seriously thought about doing it, but didn't know how I would do it. Plus I was a little afraid that if I actually learned it I might be "blessed" by really needing to use it someday and I'm not really looking to move to Brazil anytime soon. So I seriously considered it but didn't think it was really feasible.

The next morning I took the kids to the library, just like I do every week. All summer they have had the same exact display right in the lobby of the library. I knew it was bright lime green and orange, but I couldn't have told you what it was for. I have walked right past it every week since June and never even looked at it. This time it caught my eye and I actually read the signs on the display. They were advertising the new (FREE) online language courses that they now offer through their website.


Well, it was hard not to pass up the "sign" so I guess I'm learning Portuguese.

I've only done one lesson so far and I'm getting a lot of the pronunciation mixed up with Spanish pronunciation, so that's a little tricky. But Justin seems to be excited that I'm actually doing it and it is actually kind of fun.

Wish me luck!

Oh, and my brother also speaks Portuguese so when Uncle Neal visits we can talk to eachother in Portuguese and drive MY kids crazy!

2 comments:

Mindy said...

Otimo! Continue paso a paso e voce vai chegar!

I think that's awesome. I mean, if you've got to learn a language, Portuguese is the best one to choose! :)

If it makes you feel any better, the pronunciation is a bear. I finished Spanish for my minor at the university two weeks before entering the MTC to learn Portuguese. It kicked my trash the entire two months. But it'll come. Be patient with yourself.

Karmann said...

WOW!!! Good luck!!! I think that is awesome!!! Cant wait to hear how you are doing with it!